Sunday, April 18, 2010

Quinoa with mandarin oranges and cranberry's

So this recipe goes to my sister who helped me out with this one. I was talking with her one Thursday night while I was making the salads for Shabbos lunch and I was searching for a new inspiration for my quinoa. She told me to go with mandarin oranges, craisins and slivered almonds and an apple cider dressing. I took her ideas and went from there. Thanks Hatoo!

1 cup raw quinoa
2 cups of water
1 can mandarin oranges (or you can peel fresh oranges and take each one out of their individuals sections if canned oranges are not available)
2 handfuls of dried cranberry's (or craisins - i used cranberry's cuz thats what my mother picked up for me by mistake and i think it made it taste so much better!)
1 handful of pine nuts
4 Tablespoons of Rice Vinegar (or apple cider)

Place the quinoa in a fine strainer and run water over it for 1 minute. (If you don't do this then your quinoa will taste soapy...) Put the quinoa and water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Once its boiled lowerthe flame and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed.

Place the quinoa in a bowl and add the mandarin oranges, cranberry's and nuts. Pour the vinegar over everything. The quinoa should taste moist with a touch of flavor but not overwhelmingly flavorful.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment